Monday, October 16, 2006

The Joys of Public Transit


On this morning's commute I unwittingly jostled a young woman (actually, she bumped into me from behind). My honed Canadian reflexes immediately came to the fore: I apologized (That's what it means to be Canadian: We apologize. We apologize to panhandlers, we apologize when we're jostled, we apologize for everything). Normally that'd be the end of it, but this lady took umbrage at her own clumsiness and exploded, "OH GAWD!"

WTF.

I was taken aback, and so, summoning up my best tactics from my playground playbook I flung my arms up in the air and yelled out, "OH GAWD!" Instant victory.

Yes, I think I'm becoming an elitist, because I've come to loathe the whole public transit experience. I was on the RT two weeks ago, and I sat down next to an overweight woman who had her fat legs sprawled into MY space. Being a good Canadian, I said nothing. Canadians don't confront. They use subtlety and guile. I refused to yield my space and fought off her invasive thighs by pressing back. My reward? A couple of dirty looks and the sweat off her thighs. The moral of this story: Don't use passive aggressive techniques to combat fat women. You'll only hurt yourself in the end.

9 comments:

Ryan Bullard said...

You never yelled at anyone. This is a sham, you're making it up. I bet there wasn't even anyone near you. It is true that you're an elitist though.

Epistrophie said...

Sometimes I get tired of being Canadian. Then I explode.

Lubomir said...

Haha, this reminds me of the time I pushed a fat lady in front of the subway. Meatball!

Lubomir said...

MEATBALL!!!

Epistrophie said...

I like meatballs.

Patty said...

Yet another story I'll never forget. I missed you, George.

Ryan Bullard said...

MEATBALL!!!

Patty said...

Mmmmmm meatballs. *drools*

Epistrophie said...

Thanks Patty.

I like falcons and meatballs. In that order.