Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Human doorstop


If you've walked around the Toronto underground, it's a near certainty that you've encountered the human doorstops strategically positioned in high traffic areas. If you don't know what I'm referring to, a human doorstop is a man (I've never seen women serve this function) who performs the service of holding the door open with one arm while extending an empty coffee cup in the other.

I have mixed feelings about these human doorstops. The indignity of being reduced to a mere doorstop is sad, but it's also absurd. About three months ago, as I passed by a human doorstop positioned at the Queen subway entrance to the Eaton Centre, I was drawn into the absurdity. On this occasion I opened an adjacent door of my own instead of using the held door. As I walked past, the doorstop fumbled and dropped his cup. Loose change flew out of it and was strewn on the ground in front of him. The doorstop looked frantic and bewildered. Seeing a fellow human being in need, I leapt into action and bent down to help him retrieve loose change and put it back in the cup. Throughout the whole exchange, as we worked together to pick up the pennies, nickels and dimes, the man never relinquished his other arm's grip on the doorhandle. The door stayed open; nary a soul passed through it. With the clean-up task completed, we stood up together, I dropped the last coins into his cup and awkwardly said, "Here ya go. I, uh, guess you got your job to do." Our eyes met and he nodded silently.

Since that life changing event, I've altered my attitude towards human doorstops. I now take the offered door; it seems like such a waste to squander their hard work.

I don't pay though.

7 comments:

Ryan Bullard said...

Hahah that's hilarious, the story you tell comes of like you've learned something and you're a nice person, but it's a lie. You're a scumbag. It would be better to continue using the second door, rather than give the guy false hope everytime you use his services and don't pay. Terrible, terrible person that you are. As you go through, you probably give the guy grief too, don't you? A little smug attitude while you quietly rape him. Some Canadian.

Epistrophie said...

Two things:

1) The door gets held open regardless of whether I pass through it or not. Better to make use of the existing service than to spend resources on the opening of a second door. I am a conservationist at heart.

2) When I pass through the door, the human doorstop gains a sense of accomplishment and a feeling of pride. I also say thank-you. I am a nice person.

Anonymous said...

I think you're a nice person, George.
Way to help recollect the man's earnings!
What would he have done if you weren't there to help him? He might have had to let go of the door, and then the universe would collape in on itself and we would all be dead.

Ryan Bullard said...

1) lies.
2) wrong.
3) scumbag.

Ryan Bullard said...

You know what else is cool? Updating your blog.

Epistrophie said...

Here's my offer:

Post your drawing of the Liefeld Captain America, and I'll update my blog with a new entry every day for a month.

I'd say that's a pretty sweet deal, but we both know you're too chicken to attempt the Liefeld...

Patty said...

Omg. I'll never forget that story.